Thursday 4 December 2008

Chandra converting an old man to going bitless

When riding from Khemara I had no contact set up within the next 50kms and so left in the morning with the exhilarating lack of knowledge of where we would end up that night. Three years ago Rani and I had stayed near Bhopari village but I had heard the horse people there had since moved everything to Devgargh. After a rest in Ranawas, where again the villagers attempted to feed Chandra half his body weight in green grass for next to nothing, I decided that a village north of there should be a good place to stop for the day. I asked the locals if they knew of any horse men in the next village and some people thought there was a Rajput with a horse so I went along there. Upon arriving it turned out the said Rajput was working away, he had no horses and his wife couldn't stand the dam things. So we had no where to go, so I did the usual magic trick, sit in the village square and wait five minutes for the offers to come pouring in. Which they did, Rajinder Singh from near Bhopari had met me three years before and was passing by so stopped to invite us round. Once there his father wanted to have a go on Chandra, utterly unbelieving that there was no bit in his mouth. He took a leap of faith and had a go and came back very impressed, while Chandra just looked confused and kept looking at me with a lost expression on his face, bless....

No comments: